After Motrin and a hour of kissing and blowing and icing it, he finally ate some lunch. I got him to take a nap and then when he woke up he was all better. Until he got it wet in the bath. Then it was more kissing and icing.
My poor baby. Michael said at least he knows not to touch it. But I still felt bad. I felt bad because I should have been watching him more carefully. Shouldn't have put him up on the counter while it was hot. I felt the worst because I couldn't take away his pain and couldn't fix it with a kiss like his usual boo boos.
For some reason this made me think of my former patients who've had painful procedures or cancer and how awful it must have been for those parents. To be that helpless and to wish the pain onto yourself to spare your child. I think being a parent does give you some more empathy as a doctor, especially a pediatrician. So it makes you a better doctor.
While Isaiah will have many more bumps and bruises and this was a minor incident, it made me thankful that he is healthy and healing well.


No comments:
Post a Comment