Saturday, December 28, 2013

A day in the life

I enjoy looking back at these types of posts as a flashback in time. Here's what my day looked like yesterday having both kids at home alone for most of the day. Isaiah @ 2 years old. Chloe @ 1 month. 


1:49am: nurse Chloe. Left side 11 min. Contemplating pumping right side. Decide to sleep instead. Hear Isaiah coughing on the monitor. Hope he is not getting sick. 

2:12am: Try to sleep. 

5:16am: Nurse Chloe. Right side. 11 mins. Try to get her to burp. She falls asleep. 

7:15am: Hear Isaiah's Elmo toy playing music through the monitor. Hope he just rolled over on it and is not really awake. Meanwhile Chloe is making noises in her rock and play. Hope she is really not waking up too. She is. 

7:30am:  Nurse Chloe. Change her clothes in between changing sides. Continue to hear Isaiah playing on yet monitor. 

7:50am: Tell Michael to get Isaiah as he is now whining on the monitor. He goes to change his diaper then bring him back to our bed. He says hello to Chloe. 


Chloe spits up and Isaiah says yucky! 

8:15am: Michael goes to make Isaiah breakfast. I try to find some cartoons on TV in our room but none are really age-appropriate so end up on the sprout channel with the annoying chica show. Meanwhile Isaiah keeps asking for cheese balls for breakfast. 

8:22am: Isaiah's breakfast is ready (grilled cheese & ham on croissant + milk). Michael takes him to the kitchen. I swaddle up Chloe and put her in the swing hoping she will give me some time to eat breakfast, brush my teeth and freshen up to start the day. I hear Isaiah asking for cheese balls, and Michael telling him he has to eat breakfast first.

 

8:26am: Michael brings me breakfast in bed (Grilled cheese & ham on croissant). :) 



Chloe is fussing in the swing. I heat up yesterday's Starbucks leftover coffee and inhale my breakfast. 

8:45am: Give Capone Isaiah's leftover breakfast. Isaiah is already asking to watch Mickey Mouse on TV.  Instead set up Isaiah in the living room with his toys. 



Check on Chloe in the swing. She seems content. Might fall asleep soon. 

9:00am: Strip our bed of its sheets to wash later. Throw a load of kids' clothes in the washing machine. Pull out clean kids' clothes from the dryer to fold. Check on Chloe. She is asleep. Michael leaves for his mom's house. Start folding clothes. 

9:30am: Give in and turn on the TV to Disney Jr so I can fold the clothes. It's Sophia the first. Isaiah is not interested and play with toys instead of watching. 

9:45am: Throw a load of our clothes into the wash. Put first load into dryer. Keep folding clothes. Hear Chloe making noise in the swing in our room. Check on her. She is still asleep. 

10:10am: Chloe is awake. Quickly finish folding clothes and putting them away. 

10:18am: Nurse Chloe. Put on Mickey Mouse for Isaiah so he is occupied while I am feeding Chloe. Otherwise he tries to climb all over me or hold Chloe or get my attention while I feed her. 


10:45am: Put Chloe in her crib and hopes she naps. Put another load of laundry in the wash. Load #3. Get Isaiah's morning snack ready - clementines. 

11:00am: Chloe is not wanting to sleep in her crib. Put her on her playmat to play while Isaiah has a snack. 

11:15am: outfit change #2 for Chloe. She spit up everywhere while playing. Also change Isaiah as he is sticky from the oranges. 

11:30am: Isaiah asks to hold Chloe. Michael happens to FaceTime at the same time. Trying to teach him how to be gentle when giving her the paci. 


11:45am: Chloe is sleepy. Put her in her bouncer as I get Isaiah's & my lunch ready. He is requesting carrots. So I make hummus + carrots & empanadas for lunch. 

12:00pm: Chloe has fallen asleep. Move her to her crib so I can monitor her when I put Isaiah down for his nap. 

12:15pm: Bring Isaiah in his room to get ready for nap time. Read a book and snuggle until he falls asleep. 

12:35pm: Hear Chloe crying over the monitor. Leave Isaiah in his room sleeping. Pick her up and she falls back asleep. Decide to snuggle with her on the couch and take a quick nap while both kids are sleeping. She'll probably be up in an hour or so to eat anyways. 


1:35pm: Chloe's up. Nurse again. Hope Isaiah stays asleep until she is done. Still have 1 load of kids' clothes & 2 loads of our clothes to fold. Also need to put sheets and towels in the wash. It's never ending. 

2:00pm: Eat a clementine for a snack. 

2:25pm: Isaiah is awake and ready to play. Meanwhile Chloe kind of fell asleep after eating but is now awake. I'm still hungry. Think about what to make Isaiah and I for a snack. Decide on peanut butter crackers. Rock and pat Chloe until she falls asleep but Isaiah is playing with his noisy trucks so she keeps waking up. 

2:45pm: Decide to try to put her in the swing to sleep. 

3:00pm: Chloe is asleep in the swing. Load the sheets into the washer. Load #4. 

3:15pm: Isaiah's afternoon snack. Peanut butter crackers. He just eats the middle and leaves the crackers. Keep folding clothes. 

4:15pm: Finally finish folding and putting away all of the clothes. Sheets are in the dryer but too lazy to put them on the bed right now. Isaiah just finished crying for no reason. Well he was upset that I wouldn't let him play with a bag of clothes. Settled him down to color. Meltdown #2. He is in his whiny phase of the day. Don't know why this happens but it tends to happen around this time every day. Not sure if it's because he is hungry but he says no when I ask if he wants to eat. 


Calm him down and play with Legos and Mickey Mouse toys. 

4:45pm: Start cooking rice for Isaiah's dinner. Meltdown #3 because I don't want to play in the kitchen. Instead I want to be in the living room since Chloe will likely wake up soon. 


Isaiah screams out "Daaaddyyy!" I feel the same way buddy. Get a text that Michael is leaving his mom's house. Relief is on the way!

4:55pm: Chloe is awake. Take out some rice to cool down so Isaiah can eat it later. Turn on Mickey Mouse so Isaiah doesn't have a melt down while I feed Chloe. 

5:30pm: Chloe is done eating, and Isaiah asks to hold her again. 

5:40pm: Sit Isaiah down for dinner. Rice and ham with milk. Chloe is fussy, her usual for this time of the day. Michael comes home. I work on settling Chloe. 

6:30pm: Chloe is still not settled. Bruno Mars timer goes off on Michael's phone, and we have an impromptu dance party. 

6:40pm: Isaiah opens some Christmas gifts Michael brought from his mom's house. 


Why is Isaiah shirtless? That's because he had rice all over his shirt and spilt his milk all over himself and the floor. 

Isaiah plays with his new toys while I hold Chloe trying to get her to sleep. Meanwhile Michael is getting dinner ready. I'm starving. 

7:30pm: I think Chloe is asleep enough to put her in her bouncer while I give Isaiah a bath. While I'm bathing Isaiah, I hear Chloe crying. Michael stops dinner prep to deal with her. 

7:45pm: Isaiah is fresh and clean, Mickey PJs on with teeth brushed. He comes out to the living room and starts cleaning up and putting away his toys. Chloe is hungry so I nurse her while Michael does Isaiah's bedtime routine. I am still starving. 

8:10pm: Chloe projectile vomits all over me. She has been doing this every night the last few nights. Always a few minutes after nursing on the second breast. Maybe she is too full? I don't know but I hop in the shower then quickly scarf down my dinner (rice with fried eggplant). Still hungry so eat another clementine. 

8:45pm: Michael is getting ready to leave to go to the gym. Chloe is frantically sucking on her paci like she is hungry but I'm scared to nurse her and getting vomited on. 

9:00pm: Risk being vomited on again and nurse Chloe since she seems hungry. 

9:20pm: She's asleep. She's awake. Go to sleep child!!

9:35pm: Decide to try to put Chloe in the rock and play since she seems to be asleep for real. Realize there are no sheets on our bed so head to the laundry room to pull them out of the dryer. Find them damp in the washer. I must've forgotten to put them in the dryer earlier. Fail. Rewash them (quick cycle) so they don't have that wet clothes smell. Snuggle with Chloe on the couch but don't want to fall asleep and forget to put the sheets in the dryer again. So tired. 

9:45pm: remember that I have a salted caramel cake pop from Starbucks I forgot to eat yesterday. Enjoy it while Chloe sleeps in my arms. 

10:05pm: Throw sheets in the dryer. Decide to take a nap on the couch with Chloe while I wait for them to dry. 

11:40pm: Move into our room for the night. Michael put the sheets on the bed. Good night. Until she wakes up again. Probably in an hour or so. 

12:35am: Chloe is up again. Nurse side-lying. Get milk all over me when she pulls off because it's flowing out too fast. End up changing my shirt again before going back to bed. At least she is asleep. 


And that's what 24hr day looks like right now. This day I didn't pump since I had both kids alone. We also didn't give Chloe a bath. She got one the next morning since she vomited all over me again. Also she didn't get a bottle. She usually gets one at night while I pump but Michael was at the gym so that didn't happen. Should have done some studying but never had a chance to. Overall it was a pretty good day. Isaiah was pretty good for most of the day, and Chloe is a newborn so expectations are low for me getting much sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment